The following information provides an update regarding the Northbrook Park District’s 2018-2022: New Places to Play initiative.
Project Overview at Sportsman’s Country Club
The project will include significant improvements at Sportsman’s including:
- Clubhouse with golf shop and dining experience,
- Classic 18 and East 9 courses,
- Driving range,
January Project Update
- Utilities are currently being disconnected in anticipation of demolition work.
- Demolition work will begin no sooner than February 3.
- The bid process for civil engineering and for the golf course renovations will begin with bid packet posting tentatively set for late January 2020.
- The bid process for the clubhouse construction project will begin with bid packet posting tentatively set for early March 2020.
December Project Update
On Saturday, December 14, the public was invited to celebrate the history and future of Sportsman’s Country Club. Over 450 people attended the Project Open House where they met the project team, viewed project renderings and entered contests and raffles. The history of Sportsman’s was celebrated with a historic timeline and displays of photos. Sportsman’s Country Club is now closed for golf course renovations and new clubhouse construction.
November Project Update
- Staff members continue to work with the golf course consultant, civil engineers, and building architects to bring site plans to the Park Board of Commissioners for review and discussion on a monthly basis. Drawings will be shared on this website as they become available.
- As with any year, the closing date of the course for the season is weather dependent. The course will be kept open for as long as possible, while staff members assess weather conditions to ensure the protection of the course. Closing date information will be shared one week prior to closing.
- Golf staff members have been working diligently with four area courses so that our golfers can continue to play in our area during the closure. Northbrook Park District residents will be given resident discount rates at the following courses beginning Spring 2020.
- Park District of Highland Park, Sunset Valley Golf Course
- Glenview Park District, Glenview Park Golf Club and Glenview Prairie Club
- Wheeling Park District, Traditions at Chevy Chase Golf Course
In 2018, the Northbrook Park District launched 2018-2022: New Places to Play — a capital improvement initiative that will include improvements to the golf courses, practice facilities and clubhouse at Sportsman’s Country Club. This project, in addition to the new Activity Center at Techny Prairie Park and Fields, was selected in response to community feedback regarding our programming and facilities. The Northbrook Park District Board of Commissioners have allocated $12.5 million for this project.
Overview of Project
Over the past year, the Board of Commissioners and the Golf Project Team have gained valuable insight which called for further exploration of this important community project. We are dedicated to our goal of enhancing the overall golf experience at Sportsman’s and to becoming a desired destination for the entire community. In that spirit, the Northbrook Park District has re-engaged Rick Jacobson, President, Jacobson Golf Course Design, Inc., of Libertyville, IL, for improvements at both golf courses and the range at Sportsman’s Country Club. Rick worked with the Park District in 2004 on the Anetsberger Golf Course remodel and was the course architect for the 2005 renovations at Sportsman’s Country Club.
“We are extremely excited and tremendously proud to continue our relationship with the Northbrook Park District team on a project that will enhance the Sportsman’s Country Club golf experience for residents and guests”, said Jacobson.
Scope of Work
Key aspects that Jacobson will be addressing include:
- Classic 18 Greens
- East 9 Irrigation
- Range and Practice Area improvements
- Improved space for the Northbrook Golf Academy
- Drainage improvements
In addition, the project will create phased opportunities for improvements in future years including forward tees, bunkers and recommended tree plan.
The District has hired RATIO Architects, Chicago, IL, to design a new clubhouse at the course. The clubhouse will be open year-round and be a gathering space for golfers and non-golfers alike. Gewalt Hamilton Associates, Inc., Vernon Hills, IL, will be overseeing the civil engineering services for this project.
Project Schedule and Course Closing
Sportsman’s will be closed for the entire 2020 season. In the summer of 2021, the course will re-open with an incredible new clubhouse, course and range improvements, and a new name!
“Recognizing the legacy and history of Sportsman’s, our team is thrilled to begin work on the course at the end of this season with the delivery of significant enhancements when we re-open Summer 2021,” said Molly Hamer, Executive Director of the Northbrook Park District.
The District will provide updates about this project at sportsmansgolf.com as well as nbparks.org. Sportsman’s will also include updates in their regular E-news blasts to the golf database.